Titanium is an important structural metal, with high strength, good corrosion resistance, high heat resistance, widely used in the production of aircraft engine compressor parts, as well as rockets, missiles and aircraft of various structural parts. In January 2013, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics Wang Huaming team "aircraft titanium alloy large complex composite components laser forming technology" won the national invention award first prize. Today Xiaobian will bring you the knowledge sharing of titanium and titanium alloy materials.
Titanium is an important structural metal developed in the 1950s, pure titanium is silver-white metal, the chemical properties are more lively, with many excellent properties. Titanium alloy is based on titanium to join other elements of the alloy. Titanium alloy with high strength, good corrosion resistance, high heat resistance characteristics.
Made of 3D printing technology made of titanium parts, the strength is very high, the size of precision, its mechanical properties is better than forging process. Titanium alloy because of its good biocompatibility and excellent mechanical properties, the most important application is the biomedical materials, aerospace, precision instruments and so on.
Titanium alloy has the following excellent characteristics.
Higher than high strength. Titanium alloy density is only 60% of steel, pure titanium strength close to the strength of ordinary steel, some high-strength titanium alloy than the strength of many alloy structural steel. Therefore, the specific strength (strength / density) of titanium alloy is much larger than that of other metal structure materials, which can produce parts with high strength, good rigidity and light weight. At present the aircraft engine components, skeleton, skin, fasteners and landing gear and so on are using titanium alloy.
2. High heat intensity. Titanium alloy use temperature is several hundred degrees higher than the aluminum alloy, can be 450 ℃ ~ 500 ℃ temperature long-term work. While the aluminum alloy operating temperature is below 200 ℃.
3. Good corrosion resistance. Titanium alloy in the humid atmosphere and sea water medium work, its corrosion resistance is much better than stainless steel, pitting, acid corrosion, stress corrosion resistance is particularly strong.
4. Good low temperature performance. Titanium alloy at low temperatures can still maintain its mechanical properties. Such as TA7, at -253 ℃ can maintain a certain degree of plasticity. Therefore, titanium alloy is also an important low-temperature structural materials.
1. In the application of biomedicine
Titanium alloy because of its good biocompatibility and corrosion resistance and other characteristics, has been widely used in the medical field, as artificial joints, bone trauma, spinal orthopedic fixation system, surgical instruments and other medical products of choice. 3D implanted titanium alloy material can be personalized according to individual requirements, such as the use of 3D printing technology made of mandible can be fully fit the patient's lesion curve. Titanium as the best known biological properties of metal materials, the 3D printing of the medical field market demand will continue to expand, the application prospect is broad.
In 2011, the researchers at the Institute of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Hasselt, Belgium, developed a metal mandible that used a 3D printer made by LayerWise to install a custom titanium alloy mandible for an 83-year-old woman. This is the world's first case of this type of surgery, marking the beginning of 3D printing grafts into clinical applications.
2. Application in aerospace
From the 1950s onwards, titanium alloy in the field of aerospace has been rapid development. The application is mainly the use of titanium alloy excellent mechanical properties, low density and good corrosion resistance. Titanium alloy is one of the main structural materials of contemporary aircraft and engine. Parts of cockpit and ventilation duct, aircraft carrier of aircraft landing gear, wing and other aircraft parts are already available for 3D printing.
May 5, 2017, China has completely independent intellectual property rights, the first in accordance with the latest international airworthiness standards developed by the trunk of civil aircraft C919 first flight success. The main bearing parts of the wing - the central wing of the wing, is the research and development of Professor Huang Weidong of the Northwestern Polytechnical University. The front body and the rear fuselage boarding gate, the service and the front and rear cargo door also used 23 metal 3D printing parts.
3. Application in automobile manufacturing
Titanium and titanium alloy parts can be achieved fuel economy, reduce engine noise and improve the role of life. A British company used titanium metal powder to successfully print impeller and turbocharger and other auto parts.
4. Application in other areas
Titanium alloy with its excellent performance, in the bike, tennis racket and golf clubs have been widely used. 3D printing of titanium alloy objects with small density, high strength, lighter weight, in sports equipment has a unique advantage. Such as the use of titanium alloy made of golf head, made of ordinary stainless steel head made of golf head, playing far.
Titanium easily anodized into a variety of colors, which makes it widely used in watches and jewelry industry. As shown in the picture rvnDSGN team using 3D printing technology made of watches. The main body of the watch, the frame and the strap parts are made by 3D printing SLS (selective laser sintering) to complete. The sintered process forms a fine texture, showing a difference from gray to dark gray.
Bicycle transmission pulley with titanium metal 3D printing
3D printing of titanium watches
3D printing of titanium jewelry
- Titanium Applications
- Types Of Titanium Alloys
- Grades, Properties And Applications...
- Titanium Continues To Demonstrate I...
- Researchers Optimize 3D Printing Of...
- Vortic's New 3D Printed Titanium Wa...
- Titanium Is Increasingly Used In Me...
- Where The Confidence From On Titani...
- BIKE TEST: WE RIDE THE ULTIMATE HON...
- Titanium Power And New 3D Printing ...
- 3D Printing Titanium Parts Need To ...
- The Application Areas Of Tungsten
- The Applications Of Niobium
- The Applications Of Tantalum
- Molybdenum: Applications
- Zirconium Uses
- Zirconium: Health And Environmental...
- The Properties And Applications Of ...
- What Is Nitinol?
- How Shape Memory Alloys Work